Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Winter already?


September 3, 2008...that is the correct date right? It's not November? Or even October? I woke up this morning and it felt a bit chilly....so I turn the television on to our trusty weather channel and what do I find the temperature to be? 40 degrees outside! Yup that's right 40 degrees! Little chilly wouldn't you say? So for the first time in a very long time I put on long pants and socks and closed toe shoes! I even put on a light leather jacket. So I'm driving to work and I see this guy walking along side the road near our university here. He is completely dressed in a parka with gloves and a stocking cap! This dude is soooo not going to make our winters here!


Onto another story. I got a call at work a couple of weeks ago from a woman who is going to move here from Seattle for the work in the oil industry. These are just some of the questions she asked:


What is the date that the snow starts to fall? I'm sorry I can't give you an exact date. One year we had 15 inches of snow October 5, last year it didn't snow until the end of November.


How cold does it get there? The air temperature can get to -30 and the windchill can be colder than that.


What is a windchill? Look it up on the internet please!


So what does -30 feel like? Bring a scarf, it's cold!


I'm all for the oil industry and I think it will bring great things to Minot, but if you are going to move here from somewhere.....BE PREPARED TO BE COLD!


1 comment:

Allen Fieldhouse said...

so true, after being gone for 11 years now, when we make it back to n.d. in the winters, we can hardly take the cold! it is funny when people move to n.d. & have no idea what winter is really like. :)