Friday, August 8, 2008

Sunflowers!



If you have never been to North Dakota you wouldn't know that this time of year is harvest for us. That means combining late nights, running the grain cart, and crabby farmers. I do love this time of year though. The sunflowers are starting to pop and they are so beautiful. The heads on a sunflower can get very very large and when you look across a field that is full of sunflower heads it makes you very cheery. When I was in highschool I was told that the sunflower head follows the sun. I was completely intrigued by this. If you watch the sunflower head you will notice that their heads are turned to the east in the morning when the sun comes up and it really does follow the sun throughout the day. When you look at them in the evening you will notice they now face the west because the sun is setting. What a weird little flower!

2 comments:

Allen Fieldhouse said...

wow, i did not know that! see, reading blogs really is informative. :)

Tyler & Kelani Welstad said...

Everytime this time of year I will always remember what Tom Issendorf taught me about the sunflower head! I was completely amazed when he informed me of this. Very cool!